
So, I've been on my fire team for a over a week now and I am the only one that does not drink coffee every morning. I have had several discussions on this topic and have been looking for answers online - let me tell you, answers are not as easy to find as one might think. I know it's not the caffeine content alone that is the reason we shouldn't drink tea and coffee - although it is an addictive substance and should be used in moderation - we are still "allowed" to drink hot chocolate, drink caffeinated soda and the like. So, there must be other reasons. I found this in an Ensign article off of lds.org:
"Tea and coffee were discussed (in the Word or Wisdom), not only because of their adverse chemical effects on the body, but also because of the temperature of the drinks. The drinks were often taken so hot that, without realizing it, many individuals were drinking liquids close to the boiling temperature. Those detrimental effects were observed." (October 2001, "Not For the Body" Harold G Hillam)
I've heard that there are detrimental acids in coffee and leaf teas, such as Tannic Acid. So is it the chemicals? The temperature? The caffeine? All 3? If it's the chemicals, that makes more sense to me because now iced coffee is very popular, which would bypass the temperature issue and if it's the caffeine, why are we only discouraged from drinking such things as Coke instead of having them included in the WoW along with coffee and tea. And as far as temperature goes, why are we allowed to drink hot chocolate and herbal teas? Are they not "hot drinks"? How do I explain this to non-members when I don't understand it completely myself?
Joseph Smith "defined 'hot drinks' as tea and coffee, the two common household beverages of the day. Joel H. Johnson, with whose family the Prophet was intimate, relates that on a Sabbath day in July (1833) following the giving of the "Word of Wisdom," when both Joseph and Hyrum Smith were in the stand, the Prophet said to the Saints: "I understand that some of the people are excusing themselves in using tea and coffee, because the Lord only said 'hot drinks' in the revelation of the Word of Wisdom. Tea and coffee are what the Lord meant when he said 'hot drinks.' " [John A. Widtsoe and Leah D. Widtsoe, The Word of Wisdom: A Modern Interpretation (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1937), 85-87.]
So, we are not to drink tea (leaf, as in black and green - herbal teas or ok) or coffee and it is part of our doctrine, so we should obey - but the why would be good information to have, in my opinion. Anyone have anything enlightening for me? Just as a side note, because of these conversations, I have sworn off soda - caffeine headaches to ensue.


1 comment:
I miss you! Cant wait to catch up with you you next week. It was fun to read about some of the things you have been up too!
Post a Comment