So, here are some pics of today's fire - I won't go into the gory details because I know my mom is reading - Hi mom!! - will just say that things got a little hot today, but all is well and I made it back to a hotel. These are from the fire in Electra that is flooded with oil wells, criss-crossing powerlines, huge stacks of haybales...fun, fun!! Add some winds blowing at 30-40 mph with 55 mph gusts and you have a fire nightmare. We only lost one residential structure, although many commercial ones are a total loss.

This is the smoke from one of the oil wells on fire - it is rancid, toxic smoke!!

Hay bales



This is just one of the Volunteer Fire Dept trucks from the local area - they are Crazy, with a capital C!! They run in and out of the fire - most of them wearing absolutely no protective gear. One guy was wearing a tank top and bright purple suede cowboy boots with spurs. It's just amazing watching them fight the fires. Thy hang out over the front bumper, and the back and just spray water on the flaming front!! I'm amazed more of them don't get hurt.



No comments:
Post a Comment