Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Life is NOT fair...



I have been sick - not just sick, but crazy sick. Sicker than I ever remember being. I have had Influenza B plus a sinus infection. Sick. Pinewood Derby is tonight. I am the Bear leader and I have 2 boys in scouts. I am a terrible person. I have not held scouts once this month AND I bribed my 2 boys into not doing their pinewood derby cars this year. Parry cut out one car - we didn't even get the kit for Zach's. The Baptist scout group requires we pay for the kits. We sanded the car a bit, tried to make it look right and then decided to pay our boys ($20 each!! They are cunning little buggers!) because my head hurts too much to care and time is running out. Until yesterday when I had an epiphany that my foot sander is the perfect shape to sand the indentations that we had had so many problems with. I sanded the little curves until they were as smooth as a baby's bottom last night. Today at lunch, we decided to finish the one car and go to the Pinewood Derby. Parry took off the rest of the day. We have to add weights, paint it, get the wheels on it and make sure it is good enough to win a few races, but lose a few more so we don't win a top spot and looks pretty enough to be acceptable, but not creative enough to win Best In Show. We won Best in Show last year. We had to go to regionals, or whatever it is they call it. I wish I was as competitive and into car building as the rest of them, I guess. Our little car didn't compare, but we won a "thanks for trying" medal. Too much for me. I just want to race at our church building, win a few, lose a few more, look decent and not win anything. Maybe I can get my $20 back...


On top of all of that, I was asked to help set up at 4 - I don't get off work until 4:30 - bring 2 dozen homemade cookies (I cheated and ran to the family Dollar store at lunch) and I also need to make and take dinner to an inactive family in our ward whom I visit teach (the mom). They have 8 children and they got spaghetti yesterday. Easy is out, I guess...maybe a big pot of soup and a salad...I made jello at lunchtime to be mixed with whipped cream - easy dessert. Easy. TaeKwonDo is at 6. I am living on Tylenol and Motrin to try to stave off the constant headache...BUT...


I have a goal in life again. I've felt like I was floating about with no direction for a while - my life has not been good, my head has been in a bad place. But, I called an Air Force Recruiter yesterday and I have an appointment Thursday. I want to be an Air Force officer. The board meets in August and I turn 35 in November. This is my last chance. I have never decided on a real career path - there are lots of things I would enjoy doing, most of them revolve around law enforcement of some kind. The Air Force has always been something I wanted to do. 6 years in the Air Guard and 2.5 years in the Army Guard were great. I really enjoy the military - despite the incredulity of my friends and family at first. Maybe I will make it past the initial selection and go before the board...we shall see. I have lots of work to do. No more waiting around for Parry to find a job - if I can do this, Parry will follow me...stay-at-home dad...it can work. I hope.
This post warrants more...I will get to it - must leave for home.

No comments: