Friday, March 28, 2008

A trip to the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert

Autumns' grandma Vallee and her husband Bob came to visit and we made a trip around our forest and a trip to the petrified Forest and the Painted Desert - the kids had a blast and I took 126 pictures!! I won't post them all...I have a couple of boys who like to pose every step of the way!

First we went on the auto tour around the Sitgreaves National Forest to see some of the old archaeological sites, but because we have had so much snow this year, we had a small river that we couldn't cross...the kids loved it anyway!!

While the older kids were busy trying to figure out how to get across...





Keegan was busy trying to build a bridge by throwing as many rocks in as he could...


I didn't have my camera out to get a pic of the pictographs, but they were pretty neat...

Today, we travelled up north to see some rocks made out of wood, or vice versa...who knows...






The trees were amazing and the colors in the rocks and sand were just beautiful. The weather was great - mid 70's with a breeze...it was a lot of fun!! Here's some of my posers...









We stopped to eat lunch at an old peublo site and then moved on to some petroglyphs...







And some more petroglyphs in another spot...










The colors in the rocks were so beautiful!!




And a final few of the painted desert...


This is the painted desert inn - a working historical monument...




So, we are all tired and sunburned and everyone had gone to bed but me, so off I go!!

2 comments:

Rachel Wase said...

wow, this looks like so much fun! you have such a lovely family....

Robin said...

I'm glad you had a good time, looks like a great day in the painted dessert. Isn't it beautiful?